Easy bento recipes from Indigo Cooking.
Make your own Bento Box
For nugoo Japan, Chikako Kanagaki from Indigo Cooking shares her easy bento recipes.
Click here for the Easy Bento recipes you can print and keep.
Teriyaki chicken - The skin gets crispy and match with the soy based sauce! You can slice the chicken after you cool down the heat of the chicken. If you like, you can put some spice (Shichimi or Sansho – Japanese spice) on the top of the chicken.
- 1 Chicken breast
- Soy Sauce 30ml
- Mirin 30 ml If you don’t have mirin, you can just mix Sake 15ml + sugar 1/2 Spoon
- Heat the frying pan after you put the oil in it. Fry the chicken breast on skin side.
- If the skin gets darker, turn over and cook again.
- Pour Mixture A over the chicken and let simmer to reduce the sauce.
- Remove from the pan, slice the chicken and pour the left over sauce from the frying pan over the top
Sweet potato - A sweet dish is also necessary for bento. This is very easy accompanying dish which everyone can cook. Please note that red peel can be the good accent in bento!
- Medium-sized sweet Potato (about 120g)
- Sugar 15g
- Soy Sauce 3g
- Slice the sweet potato about 8mm width.
- Put the sliced sweet potato in the small pan and add enough water til the water is at the surface level of the sweet potato. No higher. Add sugar and soy sauce.
- Heat the pan with a low heat until the sweet potato softens.
- After that, increase the heat until the sauce evaporates.
Easy Pickles - You might think that pickles may take a big longer and are hard to make, but you can cook them so easily. Put the vegetables in the mixed materials. I don’t put the herb so that this dish can match with the Japanese food. They look very colourful and makes the bento more attractive! Please put them at the corner of the bento box!
- Selection of vegetables: carrot, cucumber, green pepper, celery 150g
- Salt 1/2 tablespoon
- Sugar 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar 3 tablespoons
- Mix all A ingredients in a small dish or cup.
- Cut the vegetables into bite size pieces and put them in the zip-lock bag.
- Put Mixture A into the vegetable bag in step 2, press down to remove the air inside the bag. Close the zip lock bag.
- Put it in the fridge overnight, and it is ready!